The idea of “elopement” or what it means to “elope” has really changed over time. In the past, couples who made the choice to elope were doing something considered taboo or daring.
1. to run off secretly to be married, usually without the consent or knowledge of one’s parents.
2. to run away with a lover.
today, a modern elopement looks more like this:
- A couple, finding that the stress and expense of traditional wedding planning has become too much hassle for them decides to marry privately and host a celebration with family and friends later.
- A couple who want to marry, but, since this is a second marriage for each of them, they consider that family and friends live far away and the choose instead to celebrate the marriage when family gathers at the holidays.
- A couple who would rather use the savings they would have spent on a wedding to make a down payment on their new home.
- The military groom or bride is being deployed and would rather marry now and not wait until later.
- A couple with a complicated family situation who would like to avoid the expected stress of a large wedding by marrying in their own simple style.
- I even had a bride once who was recovering from cancer treatment who was advised by her doctor to avoid stress and that if she wished to marry that an elopement or private wedding would be the healthiest option for her.
These are just a few examples. The term has really merged with the notion of “private wedding.” A small, intimate gathering where the couple exchanges vows simply, signs documents and follows with a meal or refreshments. It is meaningful and lovely.
Minnesota is beautiful place to marry. The natural beauty, the wonderful architecture and the relatively low cost of the local amenities make this an ideal spot to marry and begin your married life.
If you want to elope in Minnesota – call me to reserve your date or schedule a complimentary consultation. I’d love to meet with you.
Let’s talk about how I can help you create a meaningful, memorable ceremony that celebrates who you are as a couple and design an ceremony that is completely your style.